This Page

has been moved to new address

Top 10 Reasons to Do-It-Yourself!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Top 10 Reasons to Do-It-Yourself!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Top 10 Reasons to Do-It-Yourself!



So, I still haven't convinced you yet? Let me give you a few reasons to try a DIY project yourself.

1. Save Money, Save Money, Save Money, (do I need to emphasize this again?)

2. If you are trying to repair something, you will either fix the problem or need to call a repair person anyway. (That being said, recognize your limitations. Don't take on a complicated electrical project if you don't know what the black, white or green wires are!)

  • Now, if you do end up calling a repair person, stick around and watch how the repair is made. Ask questions. A lot of times you will realize that you could have done the repair yourself and next time you will!
3. If you are human and able to follow directions, there is a 95% chance that you will succeed. There are so many resources to assist you:

  • instruction manuals that come with the item to install
  • online resources, try googling "how-to" instructions
  • ask a home improvement store employee for advice
  • search for instructional videos on Youtube.com
  • check out a DIY book at your library
  • buy a DIY book at your local home improvement store
  • ask a friend, family member or neighbor who you know has the skills

4. You can complete your project now instead of waiting for someone else to do it.

5. You never know how you will like working with your hands. You may find it very relaxing.

6. Learn something new. It improves your brain functioning and protects against Alzheimer's.

7. Loose weight. If you involve yourself in a DIY project, you will probably sweat a little! You will likely be climbing, moving, and staying busy.

8. You won't know if you can do it until you try.

9. Bragging rights.


10. The sense of accomplishment you get when you succeed is HUGE!!!



Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 22, 2010 at 8:05 PM , Anonymous Renee said...

Excellent points!

 
At June 23, 2010 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Alanamous said...

My fabulous Pretty Handy big sister bought a Home Depot home improvement book for me when my husband and I bought our first home. Despite the fact that I was an architect, it was great for two reasons. It reinforced for my husband that I DO know what I am talking about. And there were plenty of tips on projects I was unfamiliar with (with pictures). For plumbing and electrical projects I highly recommend the Black and Decker series. My home is about 80 years old and the B&D books show old systems as well as current.

Also, another great reason for DIY is personalization. I so often see something that I want, but I want it done slightly differently. I know that I can do it myself and do it exactly to my specifications. Normally, the "custom" modifications would cost substantially more, but if I make the project myself, it will cost less than the non-custom version.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRITTANY!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home