This Page

has been moved to new address

Chalk it up...to a busy day.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Chalk it up...to a busy day.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chalk it up...to a busy day.

...to another busy day in the life of Pretty Handy Girl!

I had fully intended on posting a tutorial on distressing furniture for you today. But, I got side tracked today and then let's just say that my evening ended up with a visit from these guys:

 Thank you Raleigh Fire Department for putting out my oven fire! 

Let me tell you, it is a scary thing to see your heating element turn into a 4th of July super-sized sparkler! Luckily no one was hurt and our kitchen is still white (not smoky gray.) Needless to say, we will be in the market for a new oven this week. Any recommendations or "steer clears" would be appreciated. And a word of advice, if your heating element shorts out, sparks and catches fire, turn off your circuit breaker.

Not exactly what I planned on dealing with today! I did have plans for one tiny little project. This little project had me on a hunt for the illusive and extremely rare chalk marker. I have been looking everywhere for one of these exotic creatures. 

Target - nope
Walmart - nope
Ace Hardware - nope
JoAnn's Fabrics - nope
Jerry's Art-a-rama - Ding, ding, ding! Finally found it!

If you've been around the blogosphere lately, you have seen chalkboard paint projects everywhere! I probably wouldn't be surprised to see a chalkboard painted dog next week.

I had some leftover chalkboard wall decal material, so I cut a little label for our jar of colored pencils. But, I really wanted a chalkboard marker so I could write on the label and not worry about it smudging from little hands using it daily.


So, naturally after using my new chalkboard marker and LOVING IT! I decided to paint some more things with chalkboard paint and use my new marker. 

I put up my homemade spray tent (I'll have to show you how I made it later.)


And got busy. My mind played "Back in Black" in my head as I sprayed. (Any other AC/DC listeners out there?)  I decided to use automotive black primer (for better adhesion on the plastic spice lids.)


First up where these Goodwill candy jars all four and the rack for $6.99!

U-G-L-Y oak lids, but not for long...

Blackified, labelled and now looking good.

Next victim was a spice rack and jars (I'm embarrassed to say)
that I repainted years ago.

That's right, back in the sponge-era.
The gold ink labels are impossible to read.

I carefully lined them up and made a list of the order 
they were in to make re-labelling them easy.
Seemed like a great idea, UNTIL my oven caught fire.
Then I swept everything off the counters and away from the stove.

 After testing my sense of smell, I put the lids back on. And now that I can read them,
I shouldn't mix up red pepper and paprika anymore.

The rack received several layers of treatment to give it a distressed look.



Finally, I spray painted a Goodwill picture frame heirloom white and distressed it.
I cut a piece of foamcore to size (since I accidentally broke the glass) and sprayed it with chalkboard paint. Easy framed chalkboard.

Labels: , , , , ,

24 Comments:

At September 2, 2010 at 12:10 AM , Blogger Caitlin Campbell said...

I have a question? Why do you have to use a special chalkboard marker? Can't you just use a white paint marker? Just wondering...

 
At September 2, 2010 at 12:13 AM , Blogger Ashley said...

I love the spice rack! It turned out really cute! I am loving the chalkboard paint myself.

 
At September 2, 2010 at 1:44 AM , Blogger Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

I love how with the house on fire, you can still share awesome projects! Love love love the spices idea...gotta do that one.

 
At September 2, 2010 at 6:26 AM , Blogger kathie said...

I am so sorry about your fire, I'm glad everyone is ok!! I love that even though you had a fire in the house, you still managed to get a great DIY project completed, documented & published. Rock star!

 
At September 2, 2010 at 7:31 AM , Blogger ChRiS said...

that spice rack is awesome i have 1 buried way back in a corner some where hmmm maybe i will dig it out!! great job it all looks fantastic

 
At September 2, 2010 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Crazy Wonderful said...

Well crapers!!! Glad everything turned out ok with the fire! Loving the chalkboard stuff. I'm totally on the calkboard bandwagon. It's a healthy obsession :) I'll make a note to send you picks all of my calkboard DIY's. Also, I found that they sell the chalkboard marker at Hobby Lobby too.

 
At September 2, 2010 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Sharon@thisthriftyhouse said...

So glad all is well after the fire!! Question: never heard of the chalk board marker--can it still come off with soap and water? I have always liked the IDEA of the chalk board paint--but like you--visions of smears and chalk dust were running thru my mind. So maybe this is the answer?!!!

 
At September 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

I think it is cool that you repainted something you already painted once. It shows the benefits of being crafty - you didn't have to run out and buy something new when your style changed!!

 
At September 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM , Blogger kathie said...

Brittany~ you asked about the blue bench in my last post (a few good pieces)... I hate to tell you, but I bought it *just like that* at TJ Maxx!! I didn't touch it, isn't it perfect? If I remember correctly, it was $89 :) A joke, right?!

 
At September 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad your family and kitchen are ok! Thanks for sharing the chalkboard projects. I haven't tried out chalkboard paint yet, but I will in the future. I'm just collecting ideas from the blogosphere left and right!

 
At September 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM , Anonymous Stephanie from "Furniture Fun" said...

Love everything, as usual. I had my heating element light up like a firecracker. Scared the crap out of me. I had to finish baking my food at my neighbors. My maintenance guy just replaced the heating element though (I live on a military post), and luckily for us it didn't catch on fire...although I was wondering if it would...guess I know the answer to that now. It sure was blinding to look at! Sorry about your fire!

 
At September 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM , Blogger For My Rat Pigs said...

I recently went on the hunt for the chalk board markers as well and found a few packs at Micheal's. However, it must of been a new product because the associate found them in a weird place with no price label. I was just glad to get my hands on some because they are hard to find! I love them!

 
At September 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love it! I shop in bulk with grains and spices and our containers are always a smidge ugly. What I love best is that I have the EXACT same ones as you. HAHA!!

 
At September 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM , Blogger Marie {Make and Takes} said...

So fabulous. There seems to be no end to the fabulous use of chalkboard paint!! I love those cute little jars.

 
At September 4, 2010 at 1:28 AM , Blogger Teresa said...

I'm over in Kernersville, near Winston-Salem. I have had coils to spark before, but no fire. I am so gald you are all ok!!

Thank you for sharing your re-do's. I am having a great time going back over your blog for the things I have missed. I am a follower.

Always, Teresa T.

http://RitasRamblingRanch.blogspot.com

 
At September 4, 2010 at 10:44 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

Thank goodness for those firemen! I know the feeling -- unfortunately! Thanks for the tip with the circuit breaker though -- good to know.

Chalkboard painted dog -- haha! You crack me up!!

Hope this next week mellows out for your! :) LOVE those canisters by the way! :)

 
At September 5, 2010 at 6:53 AM , Blogger Chris said...

Those are great Britt. I love the jars. Won't work for me though, I can't read my own writing.

 
At September 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM , Blogger (cullenkidsmum) said...

I had the same thing happen to my element in my oven two years ago. My husband was at work and I was there with a 4 year old and 18 month old. After throwing baking soda on it (that didn't work) I called my husband (no answer) and then my brother who said it would burn itself out and it finally did but I would have rather avoided the fireworks show in my oven. We were able to replace the element and it is still working today. (Although I did get a little excited at first because I really wanted a new oven!!)

 
At September 8, 2010 at 9:15 AM , Blogger A Southern Rose said...

I have those same jars...somewhere in storage from back in the day. I have got to find them and fix them up like you did. They turned out great!

 
At September 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM , Blogger Robin Ange said...

I must find a chalk market! If only Jerry's art o rama was around here!

 
At September 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM , Blogger Nora said...

Great projects! I could see BOTH of those being used in my she-cave ~ the snack jars for holding flowers & ribbons, the spice rack for holding glitters & flocking powder...too cute!
♥hugs♥

 
At September 9, 2010 at 9:29 PM , Blogger Maureen F. said...

Glad that your emergency wasn't any worse - love the use of the chalkboard paint and those markers

 
At September 22, 2010 at 11:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

haven't tried the chalkboard paint yet! it looks like you had alot of fun with it!

 
At September 25, 2010 at 12:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

awesome! And inspiring! Do you know how many people are going to run out and buy chalk markers now??? :) I love the canisters, especially.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home