This Page

has been moved to new address

Pottery Barn Inspired Lantern from $5 ReStore Light Fixture

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Pottery Barn Inspired Lantern from $5 ReStore Light Fixture

Monday, July 12, 2010

Pottery Barn Inspired Lantern from $5 ReStore Light Fixture

If you have been following my blog, you may remember this light fixture that I rescued bought at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.



Originally I thought about using it as a light in our foyer, but that plan changed after I found myself drooling over these lanterns at Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware. I love going into PB & RH, but rarely have the nerve to plunk down the money they want to steal
claim from my wallet.


Instead, I decided to transform my dated light fixture from the ReStore into a stylish lantern.

This is a relatively easy project that anyone can do! Yes, that means you.

Begin by removing the glass from the light fixture. (A note of caution: You should wear gloves. In other words, do as I say, not as I do!)

My light fixture had little metal prongs that easily bent to release the glass.


Next take apart your light fixture. Just start trying to unscrew parts. If they resist, grab your pliers.


I decided to save the wires, ceiling canopy and other wiring parts. Who knows, perhaps I will want to use it as our foyer light some day.

Okay, okay, also because I am a bit of a pack rat. I'm admitting one of my faults here: not being able to throw anything away. Don't get me wrong, the producers of Hoarders are not knocking down my door, but I would prefer to Craig's List, FreeCycle, reuse, or recycle anything I can't use.


When all the parts were separated from the lamp, I needed to break the chain to the top of the light fixture. Here is an easy way to open up links in a chain that is not soldered together.

Place two screwdrivers inside the link you want to break. Lean one to the left and one to the right and apply pressure in opposite directions. The link should separate enough for you to remove the chain. 


While the lantern is in pieces, you can rough up all the metal surfaces with sand paper. I actually did this to all the parts so I could paint them and potentially use them in the future. Wipe off the metal with a damp rag to remove any particles.


Now, you can re-assemble your light fixture (using only the parts you need to make your decorative lantern.)

I used brown Rustoleum spray primer. I like using a darker primer when my top coat color will be dark.


Be sure to rotate the parts and the lantern so you get all the sides coated with primer.

Now the most gratifying step, spray your lantern with your finished color. I coated the lantern with 3 light coats of a satin black spray paint to allow the lantern to look less new and more like old rustic iron.

And here is my new (old) Pottery Barn inspired lantern! $5 for the lantern + $6 for spray paint  = $11 


What do you think of that, Mr. Pottery Barn merchandiser who wants to charge me $59 for the same size lantern?

Update: I received several emails and comments on this lantern and a few of you have been inspired to create your own! If you post it in your blog, I'd love to share your results.

Amanda at The Hand Me Down House, shows how she painted hers. She made the glass look like colored glass with Modge Podge and food coloring! Yes, you read that right. See her tutorial here.

Labels: , , , , ,

23 Comments:

At July 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM , Blogger Katie Olthoff said...

I think it's gorgeous!!! I never would have thought to do that!

 
At July 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM , Anonymous SaraMac said...

I am laughing in victory for you! That is too cool.

 
At July 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM , Blogger idesign said...

LOVE IT!!! cant beat that for $6! I cant wait to restore some vintage/thrift store finds! But alas, I must wait until I close on my townhouse :/

-Jackie
http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

 
At July 12, 2010 at 6:16 PM , Anonymous Becky@OrganizingMadeFun said...

I'm with you....spray paint makes everything nicer! Love your idea!

 
At July 12, 2010 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Sonia said...

that looks amazing!

 
At July 12, 2010 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Alanamous said...

And for some extra fun, you could swap out the glass for single pieces of stained glass. ;)

 
At July 12, 2010 at 7:24 PM , Anonymous Sarah A said...

Awesome!

 
At July 12, 2010 at 8:35 PM , Anonymous Stephanie@cre8tive said...

Dang girlfriend you did a fine job on that one! It looks just like Pottery Barn. I was just there admiring them last weekend!

 
At July 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM , Blogger Colleen said...

love this - came out great!

 
At July 13, 2010 at 3:33 AM , Blogger Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

I love it! What a great Pottery Barn knockoff!

 
At July 13, 2010 at 4:27 AM , Blogger Ashlee Marie said...

WOW! This looks AMAZING! I just started a link party and I would LOVE it if you'd consider adding your crafts to it! I'm having flower headband giveaway as part of our first party too! http://imtopsyturvy.com/index.php/2010/07/topsy-turvy-tuesdays-1/

 
At July 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love being able to recycle thrift finds into something beautiful. Great job!

 
At July 13, 2010 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

Oh my gosh - how cute!!! LOVE this! I have a light fixture lying around that I've been wanting to try and turn into a lantern - so THANK YOU! :)

 
At July 13, 2010 at 9:58 AM , Anonymous Kari said...

Looks amazing! I love it!

 
At July 13, 2010 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Heather said...

Nice work, you must be thrilled with the result! Yours has the added touch of the glass panels having that cool mottled effect going on.

 
At July 14, 2010 at 12:20 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Yours is definitely a lantern and looks so great! I love how the edges bow away from the glass. Very awesome, I would like to find a light fixture like yours.

 
At July 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

Oh what a coat of paint will do for an object. Love it!

 
At July 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM , Blogger Sharon@thisthriftyhouse said...

I Love this project!! Great job!!

 
At July 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM , Blogger Love the Decor! said...

Absolutlely beautiful! need to check out the local Restore that was a great find!!
In from Gina's party have a terrific day!

 
At July 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM , Blogger Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Great deal - $5!!! I love your makeover on it!

 
At July 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks amazing! We're so glad you joined us for another great Anything Related party!
{Rebekah}

 
At July 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM , Blogger SewPaperPaint said...

Oh, I'd never have thought to take the electrical out! Clever girl you are...

 
At October 23, 2010 at 5:52 PM , Blogger LadyJayPee said...

You are an inspiration! I am another who would not have thought to take out the electrical and make such beautiful use of the best part of the object!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home