This Page

has been moved to new address

Creating a Mulch and Stone Path

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Creating a Mulch and Stone Path

Monday, November 15, 2010

Creating a Mulch and Stone Path

Did you know that a new heat pump, wood rot repair, and yard drainage issues will put a hefty dent in your bank account? Apparently it will also wreck your yard after all those contractors have been traipsing through it on a rainy Saturday!
That is 100% authentic Carolina red clay! Yummy! It will stain everything you own and make housekeeping a nightmare. With this mess, I had to come up with a fast and frugal solution to our mud problem.

While searching Lowe's for some solutions, I stumbled across this landscape edging. I was very excited to see that I wouldn't have to dig a trench to bury half of it! Instead, it comes with pegs that you nail into the ground. Suh-weet!
Materials:
Flat stones or stepping stones (cost will vary)
2 Garden Plus 20' No Dig Landscape Edging Kits - $16 ea.
2 Extra bags of Garden Plus Edging Pegs - $4
Two different colors of mulch (I used 20 bags -10 for each color) $3 each
3' or 4' stick or yardstick for your width template - free
Hammer
Garden Rake
Tutorial:
Gather all your materials near your path site. Layout all your stones and walk on them to make sure they are spaced for a comfortable gait. Do you see that stick in the above picture? That was my path width template.

Use your path width template (aka stick) to keep your edging equal distance apart the entire length of your path. (You may need to put a weight on your edging or set a peg in halfway to hold the edging in place.)
After you have your path and the edging laid out, step away from it and take a look. Make any tweaks in the layout now.
To set the path, start from one end and hold the peg at an angle.
Then hammer the peg into the ground...
...until it is flush with the earth.

Set a peg every 4-6 feet and especially at the peak of any curves.
Repeat for the other side of your path.
Open a bag of mulch and spread the mulch to the top of your stones and the edging. Use the back side of your garden rake to smooth the mulch and eliminate any high or low spots.
Repeat until you have filled your entire path.
Then spread the second color mulch on the outside of your path. Don't you just love the contrast between these two? The lighter color mulch is cypress mulch and the darker is hardwood mulch.
Walk on your stones and put some mulch, dirt or sand underneath any that wobble.
Now stand back and admire your finished path! I think my favorite stepping stone is the broken heart stone I made with two rocks.
The entire path took me just over two hours. Not bad and the bonus is that I didn't need to go to the gym to workout that day!

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At November 15, 2010 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That's so cool! I love it!

 
At November 15, 2010 at 11:40 PM , Anonymous Becky@Organizing Made Fun said...

Ok...now I see the reason for the mud rooms. I'm a So. Cal. girl and we don't have that mud! That's incredible...that path is going to be a life saver to your house!

 
At November 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I am with Becky, So Cal gal too. But what a great solution you did. It looks great, and I can't believe you did it in two hours!

 
At November 16, 2010 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Betty said...

Wow, that looks great. What a transformation.

 
At November 16, 2010 at 7:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done the edging that needs digging in. What a pain! On top of the digging needed,it tends to sink down pretty quickly. with the flat section, this looks as though it would eliminate that second problem as well. The two colors of mulch really make this stand out!

I'm going to have to steal this idea for an area we walk on too much to get grass growing.

Thanks for another great idea.

 
At November 17, 2010 at 12:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think weeds will grow through the mulch?

 
At November 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Alyssa said...

Sadly, I know that red clay firsthand (says the VA girl). It gets everywhere! How pretty your new path looks.

 
At November 17, 2010 at 11:16 AM , Blogger Crisp Interiors said...

You are my hero!
I love this idea :) I've been trying to make our front walk beautiful and I think this will be just the ticket!
I always love everything you do.
I'd be honored if you'd stop on by and take a look around our blog!
-Emily

http://crispinteriors.blogspot.com/
http://crispinteriors.goodsie.com/

 
At November 17, 2010 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That path is great. Lots of hard work went into that. I know because I do most of our yard work. Thanks so much for joining the party. I ask that you add my link in your blog. People do not know to go to the side and click on the linky parties nor do they know what party you are linked to without posting it. It just helps others to find the party. Thanks so much!

 
At November 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That's really pretty and I love how easy it is compared to some of the other options. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

 
At November 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Megan Gunyan said...

Wow, what a great solution! I love it. It looks nice and neat as well. I'm all about the thrifty, low-time answers. Thanks for linking up!

 
At November 23, 2010 at 12:16 AM , Blogger Ashlee Marie said...

It looks great! A GREAT solution. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's.

 
At November 30, 2010 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Your yard looks great! I love the flagstone. We really need a path that goes around the house up to the driveway. I like the edging you used. I am constantly raking the edge of our cypress chip path!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home