This Page

has been moved to new address

A New/Old Foyer Light

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: A New/Old Foyer Light

Friday, November 5, 2010

A New/Old Foyer Light

I have been looking for the perfect foyer light about three years now. In the search, I removed an ugly dated hanging light and replaced it with this:
Okay, it is a little better, but I still wasn't in love! And that is the key to the right lighting, you have to LOVE it EVERYTIME you see it.

So, when I saw this Pottery Barn fixture, I knew I loved it!

Amanda at The Hand Me Down House made one that looks very similar. I always thought I might copy her design, until I found a hanging light that had similar lines at our local Habitat ReStore.
See that brass beauty in the front? Well, ignore the brass because I had plans to paint it. By the way, the iron chandelier went in my friend's hallway.
And that cute little fixture hiding in shame at the back was turned into another Pottery Barn knockoff lantern.
 
But, on to the star of this post. My new foyer light! I disassembled the foyer light and set the glass globe aside. Then I attacked her with a one two punch using my new dynamic duo of spray paints.
Automotive primer first and then two coats of Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze!

After putting the glass globe back on the fixure, I installed the light fixture (you can follow the same instructions as I showed in this post.)
 
Check out that beautiful new/old light fixture! I know it isn't exactly like Pottery Barn's but I love it none-the-less. How about you?

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At November 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM , Anonymous @i_am_joey said...

this fixture looks good ... great job once again.

hmm now i realise my foyer light fixture needs to get a different look. hmmm

 
At November 5, 2010 at 11:07 AM , Blogger Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Wow, I think I like yours better! I wish my restore would get in some new stuff!

 
At November 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Great! I love Pretty Handy Girl's version, too, but this one is beautiful with less work!

 
At November 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Sticks and Stones Home Decor said...

Great Job. I may copy this project.

 
At November 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Laurie at Turner Farm said...

That looks great,what an amazing find! Enjoy

 
At November 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Nutbird said...

Lamps and lighting fixtures are hard to find. But the hunt is worth it. The key is to never stop looking. I have some unbelievable one of a kind lamps that I have collected over the years. I still have some backups and I have a lot of lamps that need to be rewired, but the hunt continues. Ann

 
At November 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

I've been waiting to see this light, Brittany! :) It looks fantastic -- like night and day! And thanks so much for the shout out -- you're so sweet!

 
At November 5, 2010 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

I think it looks fantastic. I used to watch a show on HGTV called Sensible Chic(I think that was the name!). I loved how they took high end designer rooms and duplicated them at a fraction of the cost. Sometimes, the rooms that were duplicated were better than the originals. Your light is even better than the one you modeled it after!

 
At November 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM , Blogger Barbara Burrell said...

Great Job! It's not your typical light fixture that is so repetitive in so many homes. I love the transformation. I think I like yours more too!

 
At November 5, 2010 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Jodz said...

Wow! You did an amazing job.

 
At November 5, 2010 at 5:32 PM , Anonymous Melissa @ Life on Prairie Creek said...

Great job! I am to my nearest ReStore tomorrow. Can't wait. Hope I hit the jackpot.

 
At November 5, 2010 at 11:09 PM , Anonymous Dee Toomey said...

Love the light fixture, especially the play of lights/shadows on the ceiling when the light is on!

 
At November 5, 2010 at 11:34 PM , Anonymous Jo said...

Light fixtures can be the hardest thing to find.. especially since you can tell what quality of light they'll give off 'til you put them in situ at home.
But that hurricane looks cracking Brittany.. great job.
One question though.. why automotive primer ??
I'm also curious about how much you think the 3 fixtures set you back.. by the time you'd refurbished them. I do love a bargain.
Jo xx

 
At November 6, 2010 at 8:27 AM , Blogger SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Wow, I love it!!!

 
At November 6, 2010 at 12:03 PM , Anonymous Charlotte said...

Great job...it looks amazing.

 
At November 6, 2010 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I like yours better! Great job Brittany.

 
At November 6, 2010 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Leen said...

I love that you can see something like that and know that you can make it fabulous. I probably would have overlooked it. Great job :)

 
At November 7, 2010 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Alyssa said...

Serendipity! I love the new look. Isn't it great when you find just what you were looking for?

 
At November 8, 2010 at 5:34 PM , Blogger Life in Rehab said...

For that price? It looks close enough!

 
At November 9, 2010 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Melanie@TheOldWhiteCottage said...

Those look great! Amazing what you can do with paint, isn't it?

~Melanie
www.theoldwhitecottageblog.com

 
At November 30, 2010 at 8:18 AM , Blogger Dixie Redmond said...

I like it better than the PB fixture. :-) Because I LOVE a story of redemption.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home