This Page

has been moved to new address

Tutorial for Painting Dandelion Wall Graphic

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Tutorial for Painting Dandelion Wall Graphic

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Tutorial for Painting Dandelion Wall Graphic

I'm back from a wonderful weekend getaway with three of my fellow mom friends. We enjoyed laughter (with a few snorts), good conversations (with no interruptions), cake (without a care about calories) and a few glasses of wine (with no whine from children!) It was heaven.

As promised, I finally have the tutorial for painting dandelion graphics on your wall.
I know some of you may be intimidated by painting something graphic on your walls. But, I'm hoping if I break it down for you it won't look so hard.

Start by sketching out your design using chalk or pencil. I personally prefer chalk, but if your walls are too light you can use pencil.
From here on I'll show you the design using black paint on white paper (because it will be easier for you to see.)


You will need a few different paint brushes. These are the ones I used:
Chose a contrasting paint color for your mural. For ours I used a mixture of 2 parts white ceiling paint mixed with 1 part of the wall color. But, you could use straight white or black for a more striking graphic.

Start by using the flat brush and paint the two stems first. 
Next use your round brush or liner to make the lines on the dandelion head. 
Lightly set the brush on the wall and drag it away from the center in a straight line.
Think of it like drawing a very large asterisk on steroids.
When you are done with the two heads they will look like this.
Next you will paint the seed for each fly away fairy (did you call them fairies as a kid?)
Gently press the round brush down to make each seed. Do not drag it.
Randomly make your seed heads at different distances and angles.
Try not to be too symmetrical. And be sure to paint more seeds closer to the flower and fewer as they blow further away.
Next take the liner brush and add a stem to all the seed.
Be careful not to use too much paint or too much pressure.
Make an asterisk on the end of each seed stem. Add extra arms until you like how it resembles a dandelion fairy! Keep in mind that these don't have to be perfect.
They will be viewed from across the room. So, don't stress out.
Add more "asterisks" around the head of the dandelion until it looks full.
Continue  adding until your dandelion head is filled out.
Finish up by adding leaves to the underside of the dandelion. Use your liner or round brush to create an an elongated "S" shape.
Now step back and admire your work! If you really screw up you can always take some of your wall color and paint over your mistake.
Now you too can have a peaceful windblown dandelion mural on your walls.
What do you think? Will you try it?
Speaking of peaceful, Topsail Beach was very peaceful (despite a strong wind and cold temperatures.) Here are two of my favorite pictures from the weekend.
A Solo Flyer at Sunrise
One Lone Clam Shell

Sharing this project at these FABULOUS link parties:


Labels: ,

34 Comments:

At January 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thank you so much! I was indeed wondering how you had painted this so perfectly. This tutorial will help so much. I would love to do it on a large canvas. ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

 
At January 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Leen said...

SO pretty! You are so multi-talented!!

I didn't know you were here at Topsail! Next time let me know so we can meet up :)

 
At January 9, 2011 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Beth said...

These are beautiful! And yes, I'm intimidated and won't be trying it anytime soon! But it's fun to see you do it :).

 
At January 9, 2011 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Penny of This-N-That said...

Just stopping by to say thanks for the comment about my snowman. All I can say about your work is beautiful.

 
At January 9, 2011 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Dee said...

Oh, wow, wow, wow! I love this dandelion look on the wall...but I am not that brave! You did a fantastic job!

 
At January 9, 2011 at 10:34 PM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

Love the mural. Jealous of beach trip.

 
At January 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Oh my goodness, I would never have the courage to try this, but wow, I'm so glad you do!

:)
ButterYum

 
At January 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM , Blogger Marianne said...

Looks so easy when you do it! But I don't think I am brave enough for this. But it sure looks gorgeous.

 
At January 10, 2011 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Pam said...

You make it look so easy! I would like to try this in my bathroom.

 
At January 10, 2011 at 11:04 PM , Blogger Serendipity Chic Design said...

This is so sweet and a perfect tutorial...

Take care,
Lisa

 
At January 11, 2011 at 12:00 AM , Blogger Kristen said...

Great tutorial. Wow, what a beautiful result. You are one talented lady!! :)

 
At January 11, 2011 at 6:17 AM , Anonymous Free Photoshop and Flash Tutorials said...

nice images.....

 
At January 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM , Blogger laxsupermom said...

This is so beautiful! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

 
At January 11, 2011 at 3:50 PM , Blogger Donnie said...

That was beautiful. You really give great directions.

 
At January 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM , Blogger Georgette said...

what a wonderful tutorial! it looks very easy and came our so pretty!

 
At January 11, 2011 at 9:09 PM , Anonymous Rebecca @ the lil house that could said...

I love this! I love little detailed projects where I can use my super thin brush. Hmm where can I put a dandelion... :)

 
At January 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM , Blogger paige renee said...

This is beautiful and such a great tutorial! I have bookmarked this idea. :)

 
At January 12, 2011 at 8:33 AM , Blogger Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That looks great and you have way more patience than me. Thanks for sharing the tutorial for those who may try it.

 
At January 12, 2011 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Those look amazing and it almost seems like I could do it...NOT!!! I am like Kim, not enough patience to make it look good! However, you make it look easy!

 
At January 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM , Blogger Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Way cute!

 
At January 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That's gorgeous! I can't draw AT ALL but I really feel I could do this with your fabulous directions! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

 
At January 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM , Blogger René said...

I am impressed!! Seriously that is amazing!

-Rene

 
At January 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM , Blogger maleahbliss said...

This is so pretty!! Thanks for posting a tute! I'd love for you to link up to my new linky party, Tute {Yourself} Tuesday!
LittleEme.blogspot.com

 
At January 12, 2011 at 3:54 PM , Blogger Cristina said...

So lovely! Thanks for sharing!

Cristina from ohmyohme.com

 
At January 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM , Blogger Megan Gunyan said...

Oh, that's beautiful. The painting and the beach pics! I love them both!

Have you joined my giveaway going on now? I hope you can! http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2011/01/giveaway-with-sometimes-i-swirl.html

 
At January 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM , Blogger Katie Olthoff said...

Wow. I would never have the patience for this! You are amazing!

 
At January 12, 2011 at 10:27 PM , Blogger julia said...

looks great I just might try that one if it looks crappy its just paint :)

 
At January 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful tutorial! I love how it looks on your walls - subtle. But I also love the black on white too!

Would love for you to stop by this weekend and share it on Passion for Paint!

 
At January 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM , Blogger Miss Mustard Seed said...

This paint effect is so pretty! You are definitely hand with an artist brush! :) See you in a little over a week my friend.

 
At January 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM , Anonymous Hani said...

Came across your blog from OnePrettyThing. Thank you for sharing. I find this inspirational. :)

 
At January 17, 2011 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Ashlee Marie said...

This tutorial is AMAZING!!!! you did a terrific job. Thanks so much for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays. I am featuring this on my blog tonight!

 
At January 31, 2011 at 8:38 PM , Blogger BountifulBliss.blogspot.com said...

Woohooo! I copied you, then linked you on my blog! Trust me, yours looks WAYYYY better than mine turned out, but I sure did appreciate your inspiration for a little DIY big wall art! Mad props!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Very pretty! I'm your newest follower. thanks for the tutorial ! :)

 
At February 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM , Blogger D said...

Love the dandelions! Your tutorial is AMAZING, I think I might be able to handle that! Love your blog, you are mighty talented girl!

Donna @ www.d-eatrunplay.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home