This Page

has been moved to new address

Sarah P. Duke Gardens - Durham, NC

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Sarah P. Duke Gardens - Durham, NC

Friday, August 6, 2010

Sarah P. Duke Gardens - Durham, NC

If you have been following my blog, you know that my best friend from elementary school came to visit this week. I was a busy bee trying to finish a few projects in the guest room: Upholstering a little bench, Rebuilding "Daisy" the curbside chair, and Building a nightstand from a picket fence and discarded door. I promise to post pictures of the guest room this week! The sun (and sons) finally cooperated with me so I could photograph the room.

When we have out of town guests, Duke Gardens is one of our must see destinations. The boys and I took my best friend to the gardens in the heart of Duke University. This place is huge, with several different themed gardens to explore. Plus, it is a perfect place for two little boys to run, play and hide. My six year old loves to carry the map and figure out where we should go (definitely get a map in the visitor center because you can get lost in the gardens!)

So, without further yackety yacking...



 Beautiful fountain near visitor center and gift shop
(get your map in this building)

 Wisteria gazebo - A popular spot for wedding portraits

Inside the gazebo

Looking up inside the gazebo


Can you believe this building houses the restroom?


Let's see how good your vision is. Can you spot me?

Homes for bluebirds



Cafe' and snack bar behind this door









According to the plaque by this tree. This is a Dawn Redwood, a species of redwood that dates back to between 90 - 15 million years ago! Remarkably in 1941, a few of these trees were found in a remote part of China. This tree was germinated from seeds from one of those trees in 1948.


Plenty of fun for two. Climbing on a VERY long branch

Spiderman, spiderman, does whatever a spider can

Adorable little birds on a stake for sale at the gift shop

Oh – and yes, they even have Silly Bandz. 
Please direct me to the one place in the US that doesn't sell Silly Bandz!


This last picture I took of my niece at Duke Gardens. 
The picture was so-so, but slightly out of focus.

I uploaded it to Picnik.com and look at it now!
(I simply played with several of the effects)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At August 7, 2010 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Pine Tree Home said...

My Hubs and I love gardens. When we visit a new town, we venture to see if there is one locally.

 
At August 8, 2010 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Julie~ My Bella Home said...

Such lovely gardens, hope the visit was great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home