This Page

has been moved to new address

Dressing Up a Dormer Window with Shutters

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Dressing Up a Dormer Window with Shutters

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dressing Up a Dormer Window with Shutters

Our home has beautiful dormer windows.



I love the little recessed ledges inside each dormer. But, the window in our hallway always looked so sad.


Then one day it hit me! This poor window has been neglected and has no character, jewelry or bling! For whatever reason (maybe because I was sleep deprived?) it took me a year to realize that the window itself had not been painted white like the other windows in our home.

The first thing I did was grab a paint brush and paint the muntin bars (or grille), the bars that separate and hold the panes of glass. Don't say I never taught you anything on this blog! Want to learn more about the anatomy of a window? Look on Pella's website.

It looked better, but there was too much white, so I painted the recessed area a sunny yellow.


Wow, that looks better! But, the window still looked a little stark. That lonely plant just wasn't pulling its own decorative weight.

So, I ran up to the attic where all the original shutters from our home are stored. I pulled two out of the attic and painted them with a pretty aqua blue oops paint.

Next, I took a sand paper and roughed up the edges and distressed them until you could see the dark green peeking through.

I bought four gate hinges at Lowe's and mounted them on the bottom and middle rails. I knew that there were studs on the edges of the window well, so I drove my screws into those corner studs.


The tops of the shutters protruded over the window well, so I couldn't use a gate hinge there. I painted a faux hinge on the shutters instead.


I also painted a little sign over the dormer to fill up the visual blank space between the tops of the shutters. The board was just piece of scrap cabinet toe kick. And, yes, those are simple upholstery tacks holding it to the wall.


To create this little sign, I found a font I liked, then typed out the phrase on the computer. I was able to tile two sheets together to span the width of the board. I rubbed pencil on the backside of my paper. Then traced the letters on the front of the paper. By pushing hard with the pencil, my type was transferred on the wood. This allowed me to paint over the pencil marked letters: "Here Comes the Sun..." one of my favorite Beatles songs.

 Sweet little birds waking up in their nest.

I dressed up the shutters by adding little keyhole drawer pulls.


I accessorized and put a little $5 Goodwill chair in the corner.


Around Christmas time I hung the star light for decoration, but it lets off the perfect amount of light for those darn night wakers. (Anyone else have those in your home?) So, it now hangs year round.


I think this window is very happy now!


What do you think? Does it need anything else? Maybe paint the chair or distress it? Or maybe that chair just needs a colorful cushion.

Want to see some other turquoise inspired projects? Check out theCSIProject.com's Turquoise challenge.

Labels: , , ,

33 Comments:

At September 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Christina said...

I love this so much! So sunny and HAPPY! Great work :)

 
At September 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Cassie Bustamante said...

i think it looks good as is, but if you wanted , i think the chair would look great painted the color of the flowers in the sill. but as is works beautifully!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Very beautiful, creative solution, painting the hinge!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 6:52 PM , Anonymous Diane Chamberlain said...

That is darling!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 6:54 PM , Blogger decor4poor@blogspot.com said...

That is awesome. I love it! I had a star like that in my old house. They are cool. Nice work.

 
At September 18, 2010 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Gabi said...

Yes! The window is very very happy! :)
And that chair just needs a colorful cushion.

Your window makes me happy!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Alida L. said...

That's so pretty! I would definitely put a pretty cushion on that chair and then LEAVE IT ALONE because it's perfect! Not too much, not too sparse, but just right :-)

 
At September 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM , Blogger kaw said...

ADORABLE!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 8:10 PM , Blogger Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I think a cute little chair pillow would look good. I like it all. The only other thing you could do if you wanted to add storage is put a basket with a lid under the window. It really looks cute as is though.

 
At September 18, 2010 at 8:29 PM , Blogger kathie said...

I love the window! It looks so happy now :) And the star is perfect year round!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 8:45 PM , Blogger MoeWest said...

That looks wonderful! A cushion on the chair would be nice too.

 
At September 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

What a difference. The area is so cute! Maybe a quilt thrown over the back of the chair in a mix of colors. I like Tracys idea of a basket too.

 
At September 19, 2010 at 2:40 AM , Blogger Jodz said...

Wow. What an amazing transformation. I think a gorgeous cushion or quilt would be lovely.

 
At September 19, 2010 at 4:37 AM , Blogger Rhiannon said...

very cute i love what you did with it

 
At September 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM , Blogger Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

I like what you did. Your home is sooo cute. I just love the curb appeal. I just now did a project with an old window on my blog.

 
At September 19, 2010 at 11:05 AM , Blogger The Pennington Point said...

I'm telling you, I am SO crazy about those faux gate hinges! That's the kind of thing I would do and my mother would look at me like I had lost my mind. Thanks for being a kindred spirit. :) Lisa~

 
At September 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM , Blogger fabulosa said...

Beautiful job, I love the little sign, I recommend a colorful pillow for the chair, with yellow, blue, green and black. Lovely

 
At September 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM , Blogger Entertaining Women said...

Your amendments to the dormer have made a valuable impact to your landing. I can imagine that you will tweak the area periodically, and whatever you add or edit will be wonderful! Thank you for sharing your charming renovation. Cherry Kay

 
At September 19, 2010 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Melanie@TheOldWhiteCottage said...

How beautiful!

 
At September 19, 2010 at 7:34 PM , Blogger Shelly @Crafty Creative Studio said...

What a sweet special place you have made this window -I love it!

 
At September 19, 2010 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Okie Chic said...

Soo pretty I love the shutters.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 12:23 AM , Blogger Just this... Alice said...

It is absolutely beautiful. You do some pretty amazing stuff.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 7:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

The before and after pictures say it all. The shutters add so much character to the window.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

Ooh! I LOVE this idea, Brittany! :) It's SO cute!

 
At September 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM , Anonymous Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Love this!!! I *might* add a cushion to the chair, but that's it, probably.

Recently found your blog and I love it! :-)

 
At September 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Gloria said...

Wow, did you do a great job on this! You have very wonderful ideas. PLUS, where did you get that little dog holding up the books??? SO ADORABLE!! I want him!!!!! :)
Best,
Gloria

 
At September 23, 2010 at 8:34 AM , Blogger Sarah, Three Boys said...

Wow! What a difference! It really changed the entire space! I love it!

 
At September 23, 2010 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

I love this Brittany, featured you this morning http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/shuttered-dormer-window/

 
At September 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Kathleen said...

I love your window...! A window seat perhaps would add a more comfy invitation to the lower part of the window, it looks amazing!!

 
At September 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM , Blogger the cape on the corner said...

oh my goodness, that is a fantastic change. it has such character now. i absolutely love it!

 
At September 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love it! Just what that window needed!
{Rebekah}

 
At September 28, 2010 at 11:15 AM , Blogger Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I love shutters inside a window. The sign is just perfect too! Great job.

 
At September 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM , Anonymous Modern Country Style said...

Love the colour of those GORGEOUS shutters!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home