This Page

has been moved to new address

Decoupaging the Dresser Panel with Wrapping Paper

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Decoupaging the Dresser Panel with Wrapping Paper

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Decoupaging the Dresser Panel with Wrapping Paper

Here is the decoupage tutorial I promised you from the Diva of a Dresser makeover.

Materials:
Wrapping Paper, Decorative Paper or Wall Paper
Fresh Sharp Exacto blade
Mod Podge
Spray Adhesive (optional)
Paint Brush

I started by unrolling a section of wrapping paper large enough to fit in the side pane. Using my fingernail (hmmm, maybe that is why I can never grow my nails longer), I scored the edges of the wrapping paper along the edges of the panel.


Next I used a fresh exacto blade and carefully cut along the score lines in the wrapping paper (while still holding it against the dresser.) Set the paper panel aside.


Using my paint brush, I worked quickly to put a coating of mod podge inside the panel on the dresser, while being careful to cover every square inch.

Center the wrapping paper on top of your modge podged dresser panel and smooth the paper with your hands, working from the inside center of the panel out. Getting the wrapping paper lined up in the panel was probably the trickiest part of the process.

Then I followed up with a top coating of Modge Podge to seal the paper. I knew the paper was going to wrinkle, and I convinced myself that I was okay with it (being a perfectionist is tough sometimes.)


However, if you want to avoid the wrinkling, I tested the same wrapping paper on a wooden "W" and used spray mount adhesive on the back of the paper instead of Mod Podge.


After top coating the "W" with mod podge there were still a few wrinkles but not as bad as the dresser. (See, I couldn't squash my perfectionist ways. I had to solve that minor imperfection.)


This concludes my decoupage tutorial, but if you are curious about the lengths I took to give my decoupaged panel some age, keep reading.

I didn't like the stark black and white paper on my dresser. In the middle of drinking my instant coffee I had a lightbulb moment!



I decided to rub the instant coffee bag all over the panel. It worked, and gave the panel a nice warm "instant" age.

Later that day, I added my beachy blue glaze (all the while not being able to figure out why I kept smelling coffee. Duh!)


I played with adding the glaze and wiping some off until I achieved a hazy blue look with the wrapping paper design peeking through.


If you missed it or wanted to read more about this Diva of a Dresser makeover, click here.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At October 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM , Blogger cindy said...

This is such a great piece! I'm gathering posts that use printed fabric and modpodge on walls and furniture...but tissue paper (or scrapbook paper) also do the trick. As your beauiful dresser shows :)

 
At October 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I think it looks great. I found that using the spray adhesive worked well too. I did that on my coasters because the wrinkles were bad without it! I love the pattern on the paper. Where did you get the paper?

 
At October 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM , Blogger Erin @ Two Story Cottage said...

I am working on sprucing up my desk with wrapping paper! I am so pleased b/c it was only $3 a roll and the wallpaper I liked was $50. Love that your dresser smells like coffee.

 
At October 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM , Blogger michelle said...

Ooh I like the coffee technique, it turned out so great!!

 
At October 20, 2010 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Michelle @ Dream Home DIY said...

The blue glaze really changed the look of the piece....and in sucha great way! Sooooo dang pretty

 
At October 20, 2010 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Sticks and Stones Home Decor said...

Such a great idea.

 
At October 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM , Blogger Momma Rhyne said...

You are so creative. Love it!!

 
At October 20, 2010 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Robin Johnson said...

Such a great idea. Well done.

 
At October 20, 2010 at 10:19 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

I love that dresser and the letter! I did the same thing with scrapbook paper on the letters in my son's room.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home