This Page

has been moved to new address

Hallway Cube Towers and Shoe Storage

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Hallway Cube Towers and Shoe Storage

Monday, October 25, 2010

Hallway Cube Towers and Shoe Storage

I am a lucky gal to have a very wonderful friend in my life.

 This is my good friend Renee
Isn't she beautiful? I wish I could have her hair and smile.  Renee has been a motivational force in my life. She talked me into doing my first triathlon two years ago. She was also a motivator for this blog! (So you should definitely thank her for that.) But, overall, she is just a fabulous friend who I enjoy spending time with.

A few months ago Renee called me with some super exciting news. She was pregnant with her second child. This was a much anticipated pregnancy and the phrase, "Good things come to those who wait" enters my thoughts when I think about how long she and her husband Toby have wanted this baby.

I wanted to do something very special for my good friend. Especially something to help with those pesky pregnancy nesting tendencies.  I knew that she had been struggling with storage solutions for the hallway between her garage and kitchen. This was her catch-all location and it was a narrow 38" wide hallway I might add.

Plus, there are six doorways coming off this hall. Yup, talk about a challenge! This hall has access to a bathroom, a storage closet, the garage, the bonus room, the back deck and the kitchen.


Smack dab in the center of this hallway was a console unit that she bought in an effort to get some storage and organization. Well, needless-to-say, it wasn't working for her.

She bought this console off of Craig's List to help organize the hallway.
Renee, really needed a highly functioning location to store anything and everything that didn't need to come into her home.

Initially I drew up some quick sketches and showed them to her and her hubby. They both liked the idea, so the next step was to take some measurements and tape out our plans.


We taped the outline of two storage towers, a bench with storage underneath, and coat hooks. (Do you like our hanging coats? The vertical strips of tape.)


Plus, we taped the footprint of the unit. It was very important to keep the shelves as shallow as possible, so as not to impede the traffic flow.

Renee was tasked with buying some baskets to use on the storage towers and picking out a paint color for the back of the towers. She knew she wanted bead board behind the coat storage and she wanted black coat hooks. Buying triple hooks allowed her to maximize the amount of coats and bags that could be hung.

Then we got to work. (Yes, I said we! Renee helped with all the steps, because she wanted to learn some new DIY skills. I think she learned a lot on this project!)

We used Ana White's blog (previously Knockoff Wood) plans for the storage towers, but altered them to fit our size requirements. The tutorial for the rest of the storage unit that we built is here. In the meantime, I hope you will enjoy these after pictures!

First off, you might notice that the before pictures weren't just cluttered. The lighting in their hallway was pretty dismal. Thanks mostly to a builder grade flush mount light fixture and one CFL bulb. But, we fixed that too.

So, do you recognize that chandelier?! My twitter followers saw the picture here. $10 at the Habitat ReStore! What a steal!

A pretty place for flowers and pictures on top of the unit.
Coats and bags have plenty of hanging space.
The cranberry red baskets allow each family member a place to put their things.
Plenty of shoe storage for the whole family.
Here is the tutorial for that cute little blue striped storage box above. Its purpose is to halt all the junk mail. Renee can flip through the mail and put the junk mail in there to be recycled.

So, what did we do with that big console? 
 
It is sitting happily around the corner in her large kitchen. Renee bought some storage bins that we used in the lower half for more storage.

Now Renee's daughter has plenty of access to her arts and craft supplies.
And, because who doesn't love a really amazing before and after!

Before:
After:

Just a reminder that the end of the month is near and so is my 500 Follower Celebration Giveaway. Well, you followers are multiplying like rabbits and are actually up to 700 followers now! Woo hoo, the more the merrier.

Anyway, on Halloween night (after I've had my fill of chocolatey goodies), One of my sugar crazed boys assistants will be picking one of my fabulous followers to win this Car Visor CD/DVD Holder:
But, best of all, it comes with a $25 Amazon Gift Certificate! So, if you already follow Pretty Handy Girl via Feedburner (entered email address) or Google Friend Follow (both on my side bar) you don't have to do a thing. Just sit back and cross your fingers or toes (or both if you can.)

Labels: , , ,

37 Comments:

At October 25, 2010 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

What a good friend you are! That really frees up some space for her. I love how you went up with the storage, very clever. I can't believe how many doorways she has! What was the builder thinking? You came through for her, I think you are just as a good friend.

 
At October 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Caitlin Campbell said...

Love it! You are so talented and I love how you even thought about painting the back of the shelves & light switch plate. I bet she is thrilled with the new found organization. I think by now you should be wearing some sort of cape....Pretty Handy Girl does it again!

 
At October 25, 2010 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Reenie said...

WOW!!! What a transformation.....love it.

 
At October 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

What a sweet friend you are, Brittany! I absolutely love what you've done to organize that space and make it look cute -- fantastic job!

 
At October 25, 2010 at 10:52 AM , Blogger Brandi said...

what a difference! not only does it look GREAT, you designed something very functional her family needed to stay organized!

 
At October 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM , Anonymous Carrie said...

Fantastic, Brittany! If I ever build a new house again, I'm hiring you to walk through and give me ideas - never too much storage with four children! Love it!

 
At October 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

This really was a great solution! You did a fantastic job and it all looks so neat and organized. I love the baskets she got for the console unit, any idea where?

 
At October 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Cassie Bustamante said...

that is awesome! what a great friend you are- i am sure renee really aprpeciates it!

 
At October 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Miss Marion said...

You're awesome! I love it & I'm sure your friend does too!!!!

 
At October 25, 2010 at 2:13 PM , Blogger The Mustard Seed said...

BEAUTIFUL!! come live with me and organize my house for a month, lol!

 
At October 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM , Blogger Life in Rehab said...

I so need to do this. I have a storage bench with a back that has coat hooks, and it's just not adequate for 3 adults and 3 teens. Thanks for the idea, and I await your tutorial!

 
At October 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Rhiannon said...

oooh you are an amazing friend, im sure she is just as thankful to have you!
Looks absolutely amazing, if you ever want to make another one you can always come by my house! LOL

 
At October 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM , Anonymous Renee said...

OMG! I love what you wrote and what you did for me. It was a huge gift, not only has it allowed me to be more organized, but I'm also so happy whenever it greets me as come in from the garage. And, it's so pretty! Love, love love it!!! I also loved that I learned so much and I look forward to tackling some bigger projects on my own. Thank you, thank you! Now, you and your hubby need to go on some dates before I have this baby.

 
At October 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM , Blogger Alyssa said...

What a lovely gift for a good friend! It looks like just the solution.

 
At October 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

Looks great Brittany! You ARE a good friend.

 
At October 26, 2010 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Amy Meyer said...

That is amazing! So beautiful and so much better! She is lucky to have you as a friend!

 
At October 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW -- How is that for precision? That's very clever and we know it will work perfectly for all storage needs! Great post. Thank you for sharing it today at the Boardwalk Bragfest.

 
At October 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a great project! So much better than the console/chest piece, which I really like in her kitchen.

 
At October 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Kim said...

Are you kidding me?! This is incredible! Please come to my house next. . .

 
At October 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love this! So amazing! I want a place to build one of these but there isn't a logical space in my house. I will instead vicariously live through these pictures. Great job!

 
At October 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

This is a fantastic project and you are a fantastic friend for making something like this for your friend! Great job!! :)

 
At October 27, 2010 at 7:16 AM , Blogger Coleen's Corner said...

What a wonderful friend you are! That is just absolutely fantastic!

 
At October 27, 2010 at 10:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is perfect. I love all things that bring on organization and decluttering. Love it, love it, love it!! Great job.

 
At October 27, 2010 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

That is super brilliant! I love that she was able to repurpose her console too.

 
At October 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Nutbird said...

Hey, did you change your blog? I have been in Florida with next to no internet access. Who did it? It is beautiful!! I guess I'd better catch up. Do you travel? That is one really, really nice thing you did for your friend. You are too good at all this. I want an ebook.!!! Ann

 
At October 27, 2010 at 11:00 PM , Anonymous Leanne said...

Beautiful job! I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday until Saturday and would love for you to join the party. Hope to see your there.

 
At October 27, 2010 at 11:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic transformation. What a great use of space. And so well done!!

 
At October 28, 2010 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Su said...

MY WORD!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! I am super impressed. I love the fresh flowers. . makes me smile!! I want to know where Renee got the baskets for the dresser that is not in her kitchen. . .and Brittany. . I want to know what sewing machine you recommend. . I saw it in your mom cave post. I have so many ideas rolling thru my brain.

 
At October 28, 2010 at 7:23 PM , Blogger Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

I love it! What an amazing friend you are! I think EVERY family should have a storage like this~it is so functional and beautiful to look at! Angie xo

 
At October 29, 2010 at 2:53 PM , Blogger Linda @ A La Carte said...

Wow what a change. Awesome and that chandelier is amazing for $10!! Thanks for linking up to Junkin Finds!

 
At October 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM , Blogger AttemptingAloha said...

This is amazing! I haven't been brave enough to try any of Ana's plans yet. I think this may be my first one to try. I DESPERATELY need one in our entryway. Great job and aloha!

 
At October 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Wow!! Those are awesome changes, great job!

 
At October 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM , Blogger Samantha said...

That is so awesome!! Great job, I'm sure it will make a huge difference in organization.

 
At October 30, 2010 at 5:43 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Isn't it fun to do such wonderful things for good friends-and they both turned out GREAT! Best wishes to you both!

 
At October 31, 2010 at 7:27 PM , Blogger Ashlee Marie said...

What a great idea. If only I had a large wall! I totally need someplace for shoes and bags and stuff like that! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

 
At November 10, 2010 at 4:52 PM , Anonymous Vicki said...

I am so happy to have found your blog. I love the hall cube towers! I don't have a large enough area for the whole design but I do have an area by our back door that would be perfect for just a tower for shoe storage!I do have a question on how the tower is attached to the wall. Is the tower simply attached to each end of the cleat?

 
At November 10, 2010 at 5:20 PM , Blogger - Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

Vicki, the towers are attached by nailing or screwing down through the shelf and into the cleat below it. There are two cleats per tower. One under the top shelf and one under the bottom shelf. You can see the construction on the tutorial post (a few days after this one.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home