This Page

has been moved to new address

Fall Leaves Hurricane Centerpiece

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Fall Leaves Hurricane Centerpiece

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Fall Leaves Hurricane Centerpiece

Every year, my wonderful mother-in-law hosts Thanksgiving. My contribution is usually to provide the centerpiece. (Yes, I got out of cooking the turkey all these years?! Suh-weet!)

This year, I've been captivated by the beautiful fall leaf colors that are swirling around us here in North Carolina. Apparently there is an extraordinary display of colors this year due to the perfectly coordinated weather conditions this summer. (Don't ask me what those are because I heard it on the news and promptly forgot!)
Today on the way home from picking up my youngest from preschool, I pulled over to the side of the road and stole scooped up some gorgeous crimson red leaves from a japanese maple tree.
Then a mile later I did a quick u-turn after spying these bold yellow leaves from a Gingko tree.
I filled two grocery bags and brought them home (hoping upon hoping that I hadn't scooped up anything gross in my haste to grab the leaves before the homeowners ran out of their homes.) Okay, seriously, is stealing leaves a punishable crime?
To make the hurricane centerpiece, I took one large vase and then placed a smaller jar inside it. I added the foil to the bottom of the smaller vase so it wouldn't wobble on the curved bottom of the large cylinder.
I gently stuffed half the space between the hurricane vase and the smaller vase with red maple leaves.
Then I added the yellow gingko leaves to the other side of the vase.
You can see that I created a diagonal line where the two colors met.
I did this to add visual interest. Next I inserted some red leaves on top of the yellow area, and vice versa. I played with the arrangement of the leaves until I was happy with the results. Then I cleared any stray leaves out of the middle jar and added a candle.
And that's it. I'm done - it's beautiful - and I'm thankful I didn't have to spend hours cooking!
I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Oh, did you see those cute sweater vases? They are all the rage in Bloggerville. Stephanie Lynn at Under The Table and Dreaming has a great tutorial here if you would like to make your own.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At November 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM , Blogger Caitlin Campbell said...

How adorable! We don't have the variety of gorgeous autumn tones in the leaves out here. But very inspiring and easy! I love candles :) And the sweater vase is too cute.

 
At November 24, 2010 at 2:21 AM , Anonymous Jo said...

It looks great Brittany.. gorgeous colour, and the tin foil.. inspired.
Now I have a question, if you have a chance... or if anyone else has any suggestions.
I've dried a lot of gorgeous maple leaves of various colours..[I do live in Maple central after all].. BUT they lose so much of their colour during the process.
Any tips on how to preserve the colour ??
Jo xx

 
At November 24, 2010 at 6:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful colors! Love the warm glow with the candle, too.

 
At November 24, 2010 at 7:47 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Love how this looks! I love the easiness and the sweater right beside it!

 
At November 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM , Blogger Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

What a great sense of design you have to think of making a centerpiece out of those leaves! I love it! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

 
At November 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Just this... Alice said...

Love how plain and simple yet elegant this is. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

 
At November 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love centerpieces like this. So simple, beautiful and uses nature's bounty. I'm looking forward to meeting you on Friday!

 
At November 24, 2010 at 10:11 PM , Anonymous Steph said...

Very pretty! Maybe tomorrow (Thanksgiving) I'll take a walk with my girls and collect some leaves. Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At November 25, 2010 at 8:21 AM , Blogger Christie describeHappy said...

Awww, cool idea! I bet it looks adorable all lite up!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home