This Page

has been moved to new address

Aged Painted Pail Tutorial

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Aged Painted Pail Tutorial

Friday, January 14, 2011

Aged Painted Pail Tutorial

I was strolling through our local Goodwill last week looking for goodies donated by people trying to claim a last minute tax write-off. I came across a bucket with a $1 price on it.

I grabbed it and ran to the register. Especially because the pail was originally $9.

I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. Miss Mustard Seed's aged painted pails have been stored in my memory banks since I first saw them in August. (And that is saying a lot, considering I can't remember what I ate for lunch today!)

Marion used crackle medium, but I remember seeing somewhere that you can use regular elmer's glue mixed with a little water instead. So that is what I did – and guess what – IT WORKED!

I only used enough H20 to water down the glue so it would be easier to paint on.

I brushed it all over the outside of the pail (bottom too!) And let it dry.

Next I pulled out leftover flat white paint that we use on our ceilings and painted one coat on the pail.

I had to work quick, because the paint got gooey quick and you don't want to keep brushing over the paint when it starts to dry (trust me on this one.)

After the white paint dried, I took out some acrylic paints and painted some stripes, flowers and a monogram for my good friend, Amy.

To protect the paint from chipping off, I added a coating of matte mod podge.

Isn't it cute? Much better than the original.

But, I wasn't done...no sir E Bob. I cut up these:

 To make this:
The liner was super easy to make, tutorial HERE.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At January 14, 2011 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Erin said...

That is super cute! Love the tips, and the details you did are fab!

 
At January 14, 2011 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow-you are really a creative gal-love the colors you used during the dreary winter months-keep on inspiring us!

 
At January 14, 2011 at 8:18 AM , Blogger Leen said...

You, my friend, are so gosh darn clever! Did the pants come from Goodwill too?? I am going to try to sneak out of the studio for an hour today to see if my local shop has any good finds :)

 
At January 14, 2011 at 8:41 AM , Anonymous Mel's Cabin said...

Gosh, I never thought of doing that to a sweet bucket...it's sweeter now! Goodwill and Sal Army are great places to shop for goodies. I hope I can find stuff that like too ..thanks for the glue idea!
Visit me at www.cabinfever228.blogspot.com
Take Care,
Mel's Cabin

 
At January 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM , Anonymous Christine said...

wow, what a change! looks really cute.

 
At January 15, 2011 at 11:41 AM , Blogger The British Homemaker said...

This is rather darn cute! Now if I could just find that kind of deal.............

 
At January 17, 2011 at 7:36 PM , Blogger WhisperWood Cottage said...

I need to work on my paint skills! This is so creative! Thanks for linking up at WWC!

 
At February 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I hate to admit this, but I am crackle-challenged. Impaired, actually. I've tried all kinds, all brands, and it's a hit-or-miss for me. I haven't tried glue yet, though. This is just so dang cute that I've got to give it another whirl!

 
At February 8, 2011 at 5:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how the pail turned out so cute. I love the crackle look.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home