This Page

has been moved to new address

Ballard Pear Knockoffs

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Ballard Pear Knockoffs

Monday, September 20, 2010

Ballard Pear Knockoffs

Have you seen these deliciously rustic pears from Ballard Designs?


They are really adorable until you see the price tag: $49 each! What?! Obviously I'm not the only one who thinks that price is outrageous, because when I googled "Ballard Pear" to find the above photo for you, I stumbled across Thrifty Decor Chic's own version of the pear.

As fate would have it, I happened to come across a pear that I found at my local Goodwill a few weeks ago. I bought this pear and gourd. They were quite an ugly pair (hee, hee.)


But, the price was irresistible at $2.49 a piece.


I started by sanding the surface of the pear and gourd lightly.

Then I sprayed them with white primer.


And finished them off with Rustoleum's Heirloom White Satin finish.


And that is how they sat for several weeks while I tried to decide what to do to them next. Until I happened upon those adorable pears in the recent Ballard Designs catalog. Then I knew exactly what to do with my pear and gourd.

Starting with the gourd, I mixed some acrylic paint, using raw sienna (dark brown), burnt sienna (red brown) and yellow ochre until I had a nice golden brown antiquing color. After pouring out a small circle of acrylic matte medium (you can use glazing medium or modge podge if you like), I used a coarse fan brush to dip my brush in the medium and the paint, creating instant custom tinted glaze!


Working in small areas, I began painting on the glaze dry brush style (wipe off almost all the paint so you see streaks). My strokes were in random directions and brushing back and forth a few times to blend the color out (being careful to leave the brush strokes for visual interest.)


I also used a rag to dab around the gourd until I liked the results. Once the gourd was painted I used some raw sienna on a smaller brush to paint the stem.


For the pear, I squeezed out some acrylic paint in dark green, off white, and a creamy yellow. I mixed them until I got a nice apple green color. I purposely wanted a vibrant color because I knew they would lose some punch after adding the brown antiquing glaze.


 

To paint the pear's leaf, I used a dark brown (raw sienna) and a yellow ochre for the highlights. Acrylic paint is really forgiving because if you don't like it you can paint over it. The leaf consists of about four layers of playing and blending before I got the look I liked.


After the green had dried, I used the same technique with the fan brush in the brown glaze until the whole pear was covered.



I couldn't be happier with the results! $5 was my total cost. I saved myself about $95 for two decor items (not to mention shipping costs.) Luckily, I already had the paints and brushes on hand.




Did you see that ladder above? Yes, it is the other half of this ladder! I'm still working on it and will show you the results when I'm done.

The project today is another one of the T-shirt Diaries Stashbusting September Challenge projects. You can see more bloggers who are taking Robin's challenge here or here.

And, so you want to see more Ballard Design knockoffs? Check them out here:

Labels: , , , , ,

57 Comments:

At September 20, 2010 at 12:26 PM , Blogger Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those are so cute. I love frugal projects that look expensive!

I just repurposed an old window into a menu board on my blog if you want to check it out.

Ps- I'm your newest follower.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 12:32 PM , Blogger Lori said...

They turned out awesome! Love it!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM , Blogger Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I love the way those turned out! The colors are perfect. Much better then Ballards!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM , Blogger kathie said...

They are adorable! I saw the ballard ones, and with the price thought that they would be huge... but they're not, just the price is huge :) Love yours!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 1:10 PM , Blogger The Penny Parlor said...

Very cute! i love thrifty finds like that!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 3:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look great! Way better than the original Ballard Design I think. So cute. Great job.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 4:01 PM , Blogger cindy said...

Beautfiful! You definitely have an eye for mixing colors...they look real :)

Great job!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I can not even tell the difference of which one is yours and which one is Ballards! Darn girlfriend, you are talented. Why do they think people want to spend that kind of money on an accessory? Blows my mind. Great job.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM , Blogger Barillafab4.blogspot.com said...

Oh man...LOVE it!!! Great job!!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Gorgeous knock off!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

Beautiful harvest. ;)

Nice savings and great refashion.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

They look fabulous. I really like them. Your colors and antiqueing are perfect. Good for you. Very creative. Hugs, Marty

 
At September 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM , Anonymous Stephanie at Buttermilk Hill said...

Wow, great job! I think I like them better than the one from the catalog, and the price is fantastic! :) Thanks for the dose of inspiration. ~Stephanie at Buttermilk Hill

 
At September 20, 2010 at 5:37 PM , Blogger Love the Decor! said...

GREAT DEAL AND IT TURNED OUT GREAT!! LOVE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS : )

 
At September 20, 2010 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Debbiedoos said...

How cool and very clever. You did a great job, without that hefty ballard price tag. Thanks for your opinion on my hairy situation lol!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Katie Olthoff said...

Gorgeous! You did a great job blending the paints!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Those are super cute! Thanks for sharing. Love the final outcome!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM , Blogger K@The Thrifty Teacher said...

Very cute!!! I love how it turned out =) Patience paid off!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 9:38 PM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

These are beautiful. I'm diggin' the ladder too.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 10:43 PM , Blogger Aimee @ Explore, Learn, Have Fun! said...

They look beautiful,and you've gotta love savings like that!! I'm your newest follower, too!

Aimee @ Justkiddingaroundatlanta

 
At September 20, 2010 at 11:46 PM , Blogger Arabella said...

Love your pears - beautiful! I'm a new follower from Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch.

Have a great week!

Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea
http://www.nauticalcottageblog.com

A blog for those who love everything about the coastal lifestyle...Shopping. Decorating. Crafts. Travel.

 
At September 21, 2010 at 1:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is beautiful! Wish I could find some treasures like that at the thrift store!!!

 
At September 21, 2010 at 6:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful job! They look great!

 
At September 21, 2010 at 10:26 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

I'm LOVING these! What a great redo! You did a great job, as always! :)

 
At September 21, 2010 at 7:20 PM , Blogger kate blue said...

acrylic paint will take you far....for so much less...I swoon over Ballard's stuff too but not their prices!

 
At September 21, 2010 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Gloria said...

Greetings! I haven't visited in a while. You did a FANTASTIC job here! Plus, saved a fortune. Good for you!
Best regards,
Gloria

 
At September 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM , Blogger Maggie said...

Wow - those are fabulous!

 
At September 22, 2010 at 12:29 AM , Blogger Taija said...

They are gorgeous! Even better than Ballard! Nice score on the goodwill find!

 
At September 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM , Blogger Tracie said...

These turned out great!

 
At September 22, 2010 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Margo said...

Love them!! Wish I could find a pair like that... LOL You did a great job!! :O)

 
At September 22, 2010 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow- at first I thought... LUCKEEE! But now I see more talent than luck! You did a great job on these... plus I am on a pear fix right now... my new kitchen will be full of them! nHave you seen the basic grey paper?

 
At September 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM , Blogger Amy Kinser said...

You did a great job. I would never know what colors to choose like you did. They look wonderful.

 
At September 23, 2010 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Kyra @ RACKS and Mooby said...

Those are great! Looks store-bought! Nice job.

 
At September 23, 2010 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

They look terrific! Thanks so much for sharing your project with us at Anything Related!
{Rebekah}

 
At September 24, 2010 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Susan Freeman said...

I am so impressed! Wonderful job and a great tutorial too. Watch out Ballard's!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

 
At September 24, 2010 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Debbiedoos said...

This was a great project to link up and share...so glad you did. It really gives us gals the foresight to think outside the box! Thank you. Debbie

 
At September 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Debbie said...

You did a fantastic job transforming the everyday to "awesome"! So cool!
Debbie@houseatthelake

 
At September 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Ms. Bake-it said...

They look fabulous! Your choice of colors and antiqueing were perfect. You did a great job!

~ Tracy

 
At September 24, 2010 at 3:19 PM , Blogger KimMalk said...

Much, much nicer you did a wonderful job rescuing that homely pair. :)

 
At September 24, 2010 at 4:02 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Wow!! I can't believe the transformation. So glad you did something with color!!! These look fabtastic!

 
At September 24, 2010 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh, love them both!! Now I need to be looking for a pear!

~ The Speckled Dog

 
At September 25, 2010 at 12:06 AM , Blogger Vintagesouthernlife said...

They look fabulous! You did a great job of selecting the colors.Just think of all the money you saved! Annette

 
At September 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM , Blogger Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I love them! I saw them in the catalog and would NEVER pay that price for them. Great job.

 
At September 25, 2010 at 11:40 AM , Blogger Funky Junk Interiors said...

Wow, perfect! The glazing really took it to the next level. Outstanding outcome!

And you are so right on. You need to paint brighter if you plan to use glaze, otherwise you loose alot of colour. Nice call!

Donna

 
At September 25, 2010 at 4:53 PM , Blogger michelle said...

Those are amazing!!! I can't believe that they are that much either at Ballard Design!! Yours are actually better! Found you at Funky Junk Interiors!!!

 
At September 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, so now I have to search high and low for some pears in the thrift stores! Seriously though, they turned out spectacular!

I really love how you blended the colors too. I think you got a better result because of it. Sometimes acrylics can be a little too 'true to color', you know? The blending makes it look more high end.

Would love for you to stop by tomorrow and link up to Passion for Paint!

 
At September 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM , Blogger Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This project turned out wonderfully! Thanks for sharing! Hopped over from Debbiedoos...

 
At September 26, 2010 at 5:23 AM , Blogger Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

You did a great job on those pears, Girlfriend!
Love them, and their price tags!

 
At September 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

OH HOW very AWESOME! GREAT job! They both look fabulous on that incredible ladder! BTW, I'm have a fun CSN gift certificate on my blog, I'd love for you to stop by if you have a moment. ;-)

 
At September 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM , Blogger The Decorative Dreamer said...

Beautiful makeover on those! I really need to get some of this Heirloom White! LOL! You really did a fantastic job!

 
At September 27, 2010 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Good for you! They look great!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 7:16 AM , Blogger Su said...

I am a little envious of that pear. . .I want it :)

 
At September 29, 2010 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Mad in Crafts said...

This was one of my favorite projects from last week's Mad Skills party, and I will be featuring it on my blog this morning!

madincrafts.blogspot.com

 
At October 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Splendor said...

WOW....those look better than your inspiration!!

 
At October 7, 2010 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Petit Design Co. said...

I love the finish on the pear

 
At October 8, 2010 at 2:53 PM , Blogger Blessed Mommy of 2 said...

Better than the original. Great job!

 
At October 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love the finish!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home