This Page

has been moved to new address

Re-Sizing and Dressing Up a Goodwill Sweater

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Re-Sizing and Dressing Up a Goodwill Sweater

Monday, January 24, 2011

Re-Sizing and Dressing Up a Goodwill Sweater

I owe a huge hug of gratitude to Kathleen at Grosgrain Fabulous. She posted 30 days of sweater embellishments on her blog. In those tutorials she took the most ho-hum sweaters from Goodwill and turned them into Cinderella-worthy tops. 


Because of her inspiring transformations, I was able to re-vamp two sweaters for the Blissdom conference, saving my bank account some precious pennies. (I used the savings to buy two pairs of cute PJs. Apparently PJs are mandatory after conference hours.)

And now, on to the transformation!

I started by resizing the sweater per Kathleen's tutorial HERE.
Put the sweater on inside out and pin excess starting under the arm and ending at the hip.


Carefully (very carefully unless you want to become a pin cushion) remove the sweater. Stitch along the pinned line. 


Put the sweater back on to check the fit. 


If it looks good, go ahead and trim off the excess. (This reminds me of a nip and tuck surgery. {Sigh} If only trimming fat was this easy.)


Next, grab some of those adorable felt roses we made the other day. (Rose tutorial HERE)  Lay them onto the sweater and play with the placements.


When you are happy with the roses, pin them on with safety pins.


Sew on the roses with needle and thread.
And remove the safety pin once the rose is secure.

That's it. Beautiful new cardigan from a $3 Goodwill sweater!


I added a knit belt that I sewed some roses and a hook and eye clasp on.


Poor Buddy (aka Pretty Handy Dog), he's not so sure about me leaving for Blissdom tomorrow.

Check out some more Goodwill and thrift store fashionista outfits at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

At January 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking great! I love those roses :)

 
At January 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM , Blogger Five Seconds From Crazy said...

That's gorgeous! You look so beautiful!

 
At January 24, 2011 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Darling! You look fabulous!! Amazing job!! Angie xo

 
At January 24, 2011 at 1:49 PM , Anonymous Caitlin said...

I am new to your blog, (well, relatively new -- I spent the holidays drooling over your amazing wrapping paper techniques!), and I just wanted to stop by and say 'Hi', and tell you how unbelievably impressed I am by this makeover! And you make it look so easy that even I (the totally sewing impaired) am tempted to try it. Keep up the great work! Caitlin

 
At January 24, 2011 at 1:59 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

BEAUTIFUL!! I am so tempted to try this with some tshirts I have! Thanks for the inspiration!

 
At January 24, 2011 at 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really great job! It looks tons better and your outfit turned out really cute. Have fun at Blissdom!

 
At January 25, 2011 at 12:12 AM , Blogger Nutbird said...

Impressive! I may be tempted to buy an aqua cashmere hoodie sweater I saw today. I don't like hoodies. If you are over 40 they add too much visual weight to the back of the neck. Have a great time at Blissdom. Ann

 
At January 25, 2011 at 12:36 AM , Blogger Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Looks so cute! Have fun on your trip :)

 
At January 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fantastic!!! You look amazing! Thank you so much fo sharing with all of us.

 
At January 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

Oh my gosh, Brittany -- is there anything you CAN'T do!? :) I love what you did with that sweater -- it's adorable! I can't wait to see pictures from your Blissdom conference! I hope you have an absolutely WONDERFUL time! xo

 
At January 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful makeover. Love the post with Buddy and his thoughts. Our pets know when we are leaving them behind.

 
At January 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look beautiful. If you hadn't told us that it was a makeover, I would have thought you picked it up from the store. Enjoy Blissdom.

Monique

 
At January 25, 2011 at 3:38 PM , Blogger Phyllis said...

I'm a little late with this, but congratulations on adopting Buddy. All my pets are rescue as well. Thanks for encouraging people to check petfinder for their next companion!

 
At January 26, 2011 at 2:26 AM , Blogger Just this... Alice said...

You look awesome in your new outfit. You did a great job. Best Wishes for a safe and wonderful trip.

 
At January 26, 2011 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a super, super cute outfit! I love the flowers on that sweater!

 
At January 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Kassandra Wood said...

You did an absolutely fantastic job! BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I am participating in the Frugal Fashionista Fashion show, too! http://budgetingmommy.blogspot.com/2011/01/joining-frugal-fashionista-fashion-show.html

 
At January 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Anonymous Jen (Balancing BEauty and Bedlam) said...

YEA...so glad you joined in. This looks FABULOUS!! So fun to now have a real life friend to tie to the post. :)

 
At January 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM , Blogger Abbie said...

Very cute! I haven't refashioned a sweater ... yet, but seeing yours makes me want to!

 
At January 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM , Blogger GypsyFarmGirl said...

Love your DIY transformation. I'm definately going to have to check out more of your projects!

 
At January 29, 2011 at 1:29 PM , Anonymous Lori Lynn @ LurlynnCrochet said...

LOVE the sweater!!!! So classy :-)

 
At January 29, 2011 at 10:34 PM , Blogger groovie mom said...

That looks awesome! I just got my Frugal Fashionista post up today if you want to check it out.
http://grooviemom.blogspot.com/2011/01/frugal-fashion.html

 
At January 30, 2011 at 5:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! I love your sweater transformation, and your outfit at the bottom is so cute! You look great. :)

 
At January 30, 2011 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Su said...

You look like such a hip mom in that last post. . .flowered sweater, a belt, a short skirt and boots. . .wow!!

 
At February 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Christina G said...

awesome. going back to goodwill to get some wool sweaters.

 
At February 2, 2011 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea! I really don't have spare money to expand my wardrobe, so I'm looking forward to sprucing up some of the things I already have!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home