This Page

has been moved to new address

How We Fell for Our Home

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: How We Fell for Our Home

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How We Fell for Our Home

Hooray, February is here. This is the month of love (and chocolate!!! But, I digress.)

I have a funny story to tell you about our home. We actually fell in love with our house before we owned it.

This story starts during a torrential downpour in 2001. We were driving around with our realtor looking at homes in Raleigh. The rainstorm turned ugly and our realtor pulled into the first neighborhood he could find. As he drove carefully down the tree lined streets, we saw a For Sale sign ahead.  As we drove closer, we saw a handsome two story home on a hill.


The landscaping was well manicured and there was an adorable little side porch.


Our realtor called the office to find out the details on the home. It turns out that the owners were asking 5K over our maximum search. The interior was equally well cared for, so the next day we put an offer on the house and moved in within 2 months.

We didn't realize how lucky we were to have found this house on a perfect little cul-de-sac. As the months progressed, we got to know all our neighbors on the street. Each and every one of them were warm and welcoming and oozed southern charm.

As the years went by we welcomed our first son into our house and then a second.

The home office, that we had renovated and installed built-in cabinets and a window seat into, became the nursery.


Feeling the pinch of squeezing all four of us, a dog and a home business into a three bedroom house, we began to look at other homes in the neighborhood, but dreaded having to move away from our location (did I mention how much we love our street?)

None of the other houses lived up to our picky needs (again, loved our street!)

Pretty Handsome Guy and I talked between ourselves about the one house on the street that we would love to live in. It was the charming dutch colonial house across the street.


He said, "Heaven forbid that our neighbors would ever move, but if they did we'd have to buy their house."

And one day that is exactly what happened. It was such a bittersweet moment because we really adored our neighbors and their children. And we didn't want them to move away. But, we basically said, "Tell us how much you want for your house."

Three months later, we literally backed out of our old driveway and straight into our new one! (Sadly we didn't win the Guiness Book's shortest move on record.)

Our new home needed some updating and a little TLC, but we still loved it! It fits our style (old, casual, comfortable.)

We have slowly transformed one room at a time to fit our personality and allow us to "love" the inside of our house as much as we love the outside.

Office Before

Office After

Living Room Before

Living Room After

Guest Room Before

Living Room After
This month I'll be sharing some ideas for turning your house into your dream home. Plus, I have a special giveaway announcement as well. But, you'll just have to be patient.


I hope you'll come back for some a-moré. 

29 Comments:

At February 2, 2011 at 1:07 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love this story. I am picturing you carrying armfuls of things across the street. Both such beautiful homes. I love watching you make it your own.

 
At February 2, 2011 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Tru said...

Great story. You have a great sense of style . I love you taste. When we moved into our current home, it was just across a small field. I hated moving even that far, but will probably move once more into our retirement home.

 
At February 2, 2011 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

I love your story, Brittany! Both your homes are ADORABLE -- love the character and charm they both have! And the updates you guys have made are just perfect! Can't wait to see more!!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 9:25 AM , Blogger Kristen said...

Thank you for sharing both your beautiful story and your beautiful home. Isn't it fun watching our houses become our homes as we lovingly add our own personal touches?

 
At February 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM , Blogger EFY said...

I am here from Today's Creative Blog...I love what I see. We are in the middle of "Falling in Love with our Home." As I type, I have a master bath that is fully gutted with new tile. There's also a large hole in the wall overlooking the steps... Always a process. I'm getting your blog via email, now.

Blessings!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Hana said...

I too have found your blog through Today's Creative Blog and I am sooooo impressed. I feel like I found a kindred spirit. I am always in a middle of some project. Right now I am refinishing a table, painting a room, and sewing some curtains.
I can't wait to read more and get some inspirations! Thanks.

 
At February 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Michelle @ Dream Home DIY said...

What a great story!! Its so amazing that you were abel to stay so close to your previous home :0)

 
At February 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

That's seriously adorable. We're stuck living in a condo we can't sell (thanks to the market for crashing and burning!) but I'm finally starting to love it. It's a grudging sort of love, but it's there.

Can't wait to see your ideas for loving a house more!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome that you got your dream house! Found you through Today's Creative Blog & am a new follower!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Mamma Llamma said...

So glad I found your blog through Today's Creative Blog! Holy toledo, your ideas and creativity amaze me! I can't wait to find more ideas to make my house more mine!! Thank you!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 12:13 PM , Anonymous Irina@CanDoGal said...

Oh, man that was a short move indeed. Sounds like both houses were meant to be. Our shortest move was going from a one-bedroom apartment to a 2 bedroom right around the corner. We borrowed the building's dolly and started wheeling our stuff over days earlier.

 
At February 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM , Anonymous Parnuuna said...

Wow, You have really made something out of the rooms - I love the before and after pictures. :)
And a sweet atory as well.
Right now, I'm unfortunately not loving my home, because me and my boyfriend have a dream of moving to a house outside the city we live in now. But we're both studying, so it'll have to wait at least a year until we're finished..
But I'll definitely be doing some handy work when the time comes. :)
Awesome blog by the way - I also came from Today's creative blog. :)

 
At February 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM , Blogger Katie Olthoff said...

How cool! You are lucky to be part of such a great neighborhood!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM , Blogger The Crafty Side Of Life said...

LOVE the door in the bedroom!! So clever!! AND cute!

Please come over and enter my giveaway!!
Thanks!
Amy

 
At February 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM , Blogger The Crafty Side Of Life said...

PS, I am your newest follower!! YAY!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Melissa at HOUSEography said...

That is a very sweet story! We never found our next house in our neighborhood so we added to ours. And, our office became a nursery too!
http://houseography.blogspot.com/2010/07/nursery-part-i-big-stuff.html

 
At February 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM , Blogger Jackie said...

I got your link through Today's Creative Blog and I love it! It's inpsiring me to get going on some of the projects around the house I've been wanting to do! Love your story!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is the best that you got your dream hpuse. I love the dutch colonial look too, and everything you have done so far is beautiful!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oops! I meant house.

 
At February 2, 2011 at 5:17 PM , Blogger Ali said...

Aww what a cute story! I didn't know you lived in a Dutch Colonial, so do we. I love all the charm they have!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Richella Parham said...

"Fall in love with your home." What a great way to think of it!

I love the story of how you found your house. And it's fun to read about how you're making it your own. Obviously you're doing a great job!

Hope you're enjoying this week back at home with your fellows! :)

 
At February 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM , Anonymous Dawn said...

Aww, that's great that y'all had such a short move! We did that in 2007 - we have an old 100+-year-old Victorian that was renovated (before we bought it) into a 6-plex; we lived there (with tenants) until the house next door came up for sale, then moved right next door and rented out the entire 6-plex.

Our ultimate goal, once a big box of money falls from the sky, is to kick out all the tenants and fix up the original house into its original form, then use our current house (the original Mother-in-law house to the Victorian) as a guest house. Meanwhile, I am trying to "fall in love" with the tiny house we're currently in until that happens, so I'm getting lots of great ideas from your blog! Love it!

Next big project: installing a half-bath in the closet under our stairs!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 8:55 PM , Blogger leanne said...

wow wow wow - just found your blog today through "todayscreativeblog.net" - and your blog title says it all - you are soooo handy - and as Kim says, wish you were my neighbour ! thanks for the inspiration.

 
At February 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM , Blogger DrBabyMamaDrama said...

Love your house! So cute. I am totally bookmarking this. Good luck with the move to Wordpress.

 
At February 3, 2011 at 4:13 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I found your blog tonight through Today's Creative Blog and love your projects--esp the mousetrap note holder and the dandelion wall art. I saw pics of Topsail Beach in one post--is that Topsail Beach, NC? My parents lived in Jacksonville for over 30 years.

 
At February 3, 2011 at 7:17 AM , Blogger Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Love this! When the hubby and I first got married we moved from my one bedroom apartment to the two bedroom that it shared a wall with! Literally walked in an out with handfuls of stuff!! I think both of your homes are just beautiful - and you know what it is all about location, location, location!

 
At February 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Jenny Lynn said...

Your story is so sweet! I skipped over to your blog from Today's Creative Blog.

 
At February 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM , Blogger Ruth Yoder said...

Very inspirational. I saw you on today's creative blog. Very cool decor!

 
At February 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Great story! I love a happy ending!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home