This Page

has been moved to new address

Camping Themed Boy's Room

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Camping Themed Boy's Room

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Camping Themed Boy's Room


I have been having the best time meeting most of my favorite bloggers at Blissdom. 
Dear sweet home & DIY bloggers, y'all really rock!

A few of those rockin' women bloggers:
Sandra (
Sawdust & Paper Scraps), Rhoda (Southern Hospitality), Shaunna (Perfectly Imperfect), Ashley (Pure + Lovely), Erin (Two Story Cottage) and Layla (TheLetteredCottage)

So I met, Layla from The Lettered Cottage – I know seriously – Layla! She is a real sweetheart and very down-to-earth gal. Anyway, she sent out a request for ideas for kids rooms. She and her cute hubby (don't tell her I said that) are on the road to adoption and want to put together a room for their little one(s).

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new when I say that Layla and Kevin don't need any help with design ideas. Their bungalow is "to die for!" But, when a blogger asks for ideas, one must comply.

And because, who doesn't love a good before and after. Here is my son's bedroom shortly after we moved into our home.


Pretty boring, huh? Poor guy didn't even have a bed frame. But, frankly, it let me sleep better at night knowing he wouldn't roll out of bed.  Hey, Layla, they roll out of bed until a little after 4 yrs. old. But, I know you won't be buying bunk beds anytime soon ;-).

Two plus years later and we moved beyond the rolling out of bed phase AND something divine happened. I met a "real" mural artist and it was like finding a clone of myself! I promptly hired my clone to help me paint a mural in my son's room.

A beautiful woodland and mountain theme!


Tom Barber (mural artist in Raleigh, NC) painted most of the background and I painted the animals (because that is my illustration specialty.)


I bought some corner rounded shelves at Home Depot and installed them in the corner where Tom painted a big tree.


A perfect spot to curl up with a good book.


The closet is my son's super secret hideaway.


When you open the door you are met by a tent.


Pretty Handsome Son can either close it up or secure the tent flaps on the sides with the velcro tie backs.


The tree is made from some crepe myrtle branches that we had to trim from our trees out front.


The lantern in the tree was an old oil lantern. I drilled a hole in the bottom and inserted a candelabra light kit. It is the perfect amount of light for him to read stories by.


I used a larger branch for the curtain rod. And tied the rod to the shelf with some rope knots.


And I had to add this adorable bird that my son made in preschool. No kids room is complete without his or her artwork.


He sleeps soundly under the light up moon on the wall.


The bookshelf was re-painted and I mod podged old US Geological Survey maps onto the back.


I wish I had a room like this when I was a child. Heck, when he outgrows it (which I hope he never does), I'll move in to his room!

Before:

After:
Bedding from Target Woolrich collection.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At January 27, 2011 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Megan // Honey We're Home said...

I can't believe you painted all those animals! They look so real. I bet your son LOVES that room.

 
At January 27, 2011 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! He one lucky little guy! I love what you did with his room. How fun to be a kid in such a wonderful space. You put a lot of thought into it. It turned out beautifully. I am sure Layla and many others will gain inspiration from this. Mine are out of the house now but they would have loved this space. Great job!
hugs,
Tammy

 
At January 27, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

Wow, Brittany! That is an amazing room! I love those corner shelves in the tree -- they are just perfect! Can't wait to hear more about Blissdom!!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Tys said...

Well that's just... AWESOME!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM , Blogger The Painted Cottage said...

His room is AWESOME! I can imagine that he rarely wants to leave! :)

So glad you're having a great time at Blissdom!

-Lauren
www.thepaintedcottageonline.blogspot.com

 
At January 27, 2011 at 1:16 PM , Anonymous Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement said...

Your talent is amazing!!! I can't imagine how excited your son must be to have a room like this! Thanks for sharing.

 
At January 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM , Blogger Penny Pickles said...

Turned out amazing - I wish I could find my painting clone here in Indiana! An illustrator after my own heart! I love the details and touches - just fantastic!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 2:35 PM , Blogger Five Seconds From Crazy said...

This is amazing! Simply ...amazing!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 3:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

FABULOUS! Did I mention FABULOUS? Seriously! You have done an amazing job. Sooo many cool things in this room!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Chandra Chinnis said...

Great room!!!!!!! The animals you painted are life like. I love muralist. I knew a good one when we were in California but haven't found one here in SC.
www.mysouthernlife.blogspot.com

 
At January 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Those pics are spectacular, I bet it's more amazing in person!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

OH my goodness...you must have so much patience!

 
At January 28, 2011 at 1:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing room, almost makes me wish my boys were little again.

 
At January 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM , Anonymous Corinna said...

I love your blog and usually follow it via email, but I had to come over today and tell you that this is SPECTACULAR! I think my daughter would literally faint if I painted her bedroom as beautiful as this. You rock! :)

 
At January 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Taija said...

Wow!!! This is incredible!! You are so talented!!

 
At January 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM , Blogger Tanya said...

Wow, you did an amazing job! What boy would not want to be in that room 24/7?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home