This Page

has been moved to new address

Mini Gift Pouches

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Pretty Handy Girl: Mini Gift Pouches

Monday, December 6, 2010

Mini Gift Pouches

Oh the quandary of what to get my boy's teachers, the sitter, and all those other important people in our lives. Usually I take the easy way out and buy gift cards. Well – okay – I'm still going to give the gift cards, but this year I wanted to present them in something a little nicer. Something handmade with love.
AllPouches.jpg
These little handmade pouches are perfect for holding a gift card and some holiday treats. And then after the holiday season has ended, the recipient can use the pouch to protect and store valuables!

My pouches started like this:
DiscountNapkins.jpg
Discounted cloth napkins! 90 cents for each napkin. And here is how they became cute little mini gift pouches:
CutinQuarters.jpg
Open the napkin up and cut it into quarters.
FoldinHalf.jpg
Fold the napkin in half.
LayoutButtons.jpg
Allow 1/4 inch seam allowance on the open edge of your pouch, then layout your design and sketch with a disappearing marker where your stitch lines will appear.
SewStems.jpg
Sew along the lines you drew. (My machine has a few decorative stitches, but I could have done them by hand instead.)
SewOnButton.jpg
Then hand sew the buttons on where you want them.
HemPouch.jpg
Once your design has been completely stitched You will need to hem the raw edge on your napkin.
FoldOverDrawstring.jpg
Next, fold over the top of your pouch approximately 1/2" to accommodate your ribbon drawstring.
DecorativeTopStitch.jpg
Stitch the ribbon drawstring pocket closed. If your sewing machine has decorative stitches you may choose to use one of them, but be sure to sew on the right side.
StitchLines.jpg
Fold your napkin back in half with the right sides together, and stitch along the bottom and open sides of your pouch. (I stitched this pouch a little higher on the bottom edge to make the flower stems end in the seam.) Be careful to stop stitching up the side before the drawstring opening.
CutCorners.jpg
Snip off the corners of your pouch.
TurnRightSideOut.jpg
Turn your pouch right side out.
FeedSafetyPin.jpg
Cut a length of ribbon long enough to thread through the top of your pouch and to tie a bow. Then attach a safety pin to one end of the ribbon. (I added some scotch tape so the pin wouldn't fray the ribbon.)
PulledSafetyPin.jpg
Gently feed the ribbon through the bag using the safety pin to push its way through.
FlowerPouch.jpg
Add some goodies to your pouches and tie the ribbon to close it up.
AllPouches.jpg
For the Rudolf and tree bag, I simply cut out the shapes using felt and stitched around the edges.
SnowmanEyeballs.jpg 
One more trick for you. The snowman's eyes were added after I stitched the button on using white thread. Then I rethreaded my needle and sewed in and out a few times on each hole to give him little black eyes.

I will be the first to admit that I need to center my designs a little better, but for now I'm happy with them. And, hey, isn't it the imperfections that make them look handmade?
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg4fYxAaMYzw4xJpm0375c5npxJ87MtA_S5A_vqE_6AUpF_anOeh9JWdpvw_-A4zoxH2cP6WIzH_FvPsWDQEWJBBRYt3atvOquMTD2PCpEBrHHgQo17DrE1Nv8ITvnUsenmjwtcyKgX1IQ/s1600/MoreXmasPouches.jpg
Update: I made a few more pouches last night, and altered my snowmen to a four hole button which gave me the option to add a mouth. I'm also perfecting my technique and getting better (not perfect) at centering the designs.

Sharing this project at these FABULOUS link parties:
Visit thecsiproject.com

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

At December 6, 2010 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I really love this idea. How many times have I seen napkins on clearance too! Do you think if you cut the napkin in just half it would fit a bottle of wine? You have me wanting to make these!

 
At December 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

Cute! Wish I had the time and could find a sewing machine in this mess of a house. {sigh}

 
At December 6, 2010 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Those are too cute! So unique and beautiful.

 
At December 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so great! Precious idea for those small gifts.

 
At December 6, 2010 at 10:09 PM , Blogger Patty said...

These are so neat! Thanks for visiting my blog today! I'm a new follower also!

 
At December 6, 2010 at 10:18 PM , Anonymous PioneerValleyGirl said...

Very smart - a really nice handmade touch, but a nice simple project too

 
At December 6, 2010 at 10:31 PM , Blogger Erin @ Two Story Cottage said...

Let me say as a former teacher that gift cards ARE AWESOME. Of course the lovely pouch is a bonus and any teacher I know would have loved both. Cute handmade pouch + gift card = perfect

 
At December 6, 2010 at 11:25 PM , Anonymous Real Mountain Values (B) said...

These are amazingly cute. I hope the recipients appreciate the work that went into them.

Plus they can use them for other things after opening.

Lovely.

 
At December 7, 2010 at 12:00 AM , Blogger Kristen said...

Who doesn't love a good gift card? Love the pouches, how fun!

 
At December 7, 2010 at 4:49 AM , Blogger Cidinha said...

I love it! Very beautiful!

 
At December 7, 2010 at 11:16 AM , Blogger Carmen and the Primcats said...

What a cute and simple idea!

Carmen and the Primcats

 
At December 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM , Blogger Sherri said...

What a neat idea for gift cards and goodies. Uh, but I so can't sew. LOL I keep saying I am going to learn!

 
At December 7, 2010 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Sanja said...

Woooow...prelijepe su sve poklon vrećice! Super ideja i odličan tutorijal!!!

 
At December 7, 2010 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Denise said...

Beautiful! Did you use a machine or did you hand sew the tree and reindeer? I have something similar i want to sew but have put it off for years because I don't believe I can do the trim with the machine that straight! :0)

 
At December 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM , Blogger AmericKim said...

Very creative. Great tutorial!

 
At December 7, 2010 at 8:42 PM , Blogger Mystica said...

These are cute and practical to give a treat!

I have posted my first giveaway on my blog and would like if you and anyone who reads this post would come enter. It is a gift card from CSN stores.

 
At December 8, 2010 at 3:20 AM , Anonymous cathy in Brussels said...

What a great idea! I am wayyyyyy too far behind to get these made by Christmas, but the flower one would be adorable for Valentine's Day. A fun project to kick off the new year! Happy Holidays and thanks for sharing such great details.

 
At December 8, 2010 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

These are adorable!!!!!!!!!!! I especially love that little button snowman. :)

 
At December 9, 2010 at 2:44 PM , Blogger KimMalk said...

This are perfectly cute, Miss Handy. What a great gift with a gift.

 
At December 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Jana said...

So cute! I love it!

Come enter to win a free pair of sandals!

http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/sseko-giveaway.html

 
At December 10, 2010 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Megan Gunyan said...

Oh, so cute! I love your fun designs. I would have the patience to do one and then stop! Ha! Great job, thanks for sharing!

 
At December 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM , Blogger Mike and Katrina @HA said...

As a teacher who has gotten her fair share of handmade gifts that are lovingly given, yet not so useful or pretty, I have to say....I LOVE THESE!! I'll teach your kiddos!

Katrina

 
At December 21, 2010 at 3:58 AM , Blogger Ashlee Marie said...

I love the stems and button flowers! The gift pouches are a great idea! Thanks for linking up Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home